This 1889 two family Brownstone was fully gut renovated to become a Certified Passive House. Construction began in the Spring of 2017 and was completed in Fall of 2018.
The building has been structurally reinforced and leveled at each floor. New plumbing, electrical and required ventilation has been planned to run in a central spine on the interior of the building, where it branches out toward the perimeter at each floor, and minimizes penetrations in the air tight membrane. Gas has been entirely capped, and the electrical heating and cooling system is kept minimal due to the significantly added insulation and exterior shading. Solar panels by Brooklyn Solar offset the electrical load the building requires to run.
New Optiwin windows from Austria are triple glazed and gasketed. White Oak flooring by Madera is laid in a herringbone on the parlor level, and along with the restored original wooden mantels, details and moldings, evokes a time when this floor was the most elaborate in the house. Maple plywood surrounds at door openings and windows offset the 1900’s details to add a modern but warm flavor, and the custom kitchen fronts by Reform lend the space a dash of color that is repeated in select spots throughout.
MEP Engineer: ABS Engineering
General Contractor: LB General Contracting Corp.